“You have to sometimes find ways
to say things without telling the guy it’s awful…I mean, I did ‘The Incredible 2-Headed Transplant’ so I know what that was like. I know what the bottom
floor is. I’ve been on it.”
-
Bruce Dern
“The
Incredible 2-Headed Transplant” (1971) was, more or less, Bruce Dern’s swan
song to American International Pictures, the production company responsible for
much of the actor’s drive-in theater output in the late 1960s of biker flicks
and Roger Corman-directed pulp. The title pretty much sums up the film,
featuring Dern as a mad (but very bored looking) scientist with an obsession
for creating two-headed animals in his home laboratory. Pat Priest (best known
as the normal-looking daughter on “The Munsters”) plays his oblivious wife, and
Casey Kasem (host of radio’s “American Top 40” countdown show and the voice of
Shaggy in “Scooby-Doo” cartoons) is the doctor’s concerned friend. (Kasem portrayed
Bruce Dern’s brother in “The Cycle Savages,” which he also produced.)
“I’m
trying to show those doctors, those antiquated old men,” Dern’s demented
character declares, “that I am really doing something with my life! That I am
giving something of myself to other people!” Then he grafts the head of a
homicidal maniac onto the hulking body of a simple-minded handyman, and the
evil head gleefully announces, “I’m running this monster, understand?” (The
imposing handyman was portrayed by 7-foot 4-inch John Bloom, an accountant when
he was “discovered” by Grade Z schlockmeister Al Adamson and cast as
Frankenstein’s monster in 1971’s “Dracula vs. Frankenstein.”) In the film’s
grim aftermath Kasem wisely intones, “Sometimes too much imagination can
destroy a man.”
Dern
would later call “The Incredible 2-Headed Transplant” “a real dog shit
movie…It was a total whore-out by me just to make the money. I only made $1750,
but that was a lot of money to me. I had to get it.” In another interview, he
said, “I look on it as a fond memory. It brought me together with my wife
(third wife Andrea Bakken). The film was a nightmare to make, but I got
married with the money I made…”
In
the January 1976 issue of Andy Warhol’s Interview magazine, Bruce Dern told
actress-fashion designer Tere Tereba, “Since I’ve started to star in pictures I
have always managed to retain my singularity of purpose when I got into the
business, which was to be an artist, as an actor, more than anything else.”
When
asked by Tereba, “When do you think your big break came?...the turning point?”
Dern replied, “Well, I don’t think it’s come yet…the beginning I guess was
‘Silent Running’ and the award I got for ‘Drive, He Said’ (the National Society
of Film Critics Award for Best Supporting Actor). Those two things were
probably the beginning of the shape of things to come.”
Douglas
Trumbull, the mastermind who supervised the astonishing special effects for
director Stanley Kubrick’s 1968 masterpiece “2001: A Space Odyssey” (years
before computer-generated imagery became the norm for science-fiction films),
made his directing debut in 1972 with the aforementioned “Silent Running.” The script, written by Deric Washburn (who wrote
the screenplay for “The Deer Hunter”), Michael Cimino (the writer-director of
“Thunderbolt and Lightfoot” and the director of “The Deer Hunter”), and Steven
Bochco (who would become the successful producer of the TV series “Hill Street
Blues,” “L.A. Law,” and “NYPD Blue”), depicts a future when Earth has been
completely defoliated. Near the rings of Saturn, a fleet of interplanetary
freighters hauls greenhouses protected by huge geodesic domes in hopes of
someday reforesting the world.
![]() |
| Many scenes aboard the space freighter Valley Forge were filmed on the decommissioned aircraft carrier USS Valley Forge. |
When
the four-man crew receives orders to jettison and nuke the domes and return the
freighters to commercial service back home, the resident botanist and
ecologist, Freeman Lowell (Bruce Dern), takes drastic measures to ensure the
conservation of his treasured charge. In case you don’t get the overt, green
message, the otherwise impressive music score by Peter Schickele (popularly
known as classical music parodist P.D.Q. Bach) includes a couple of annoying,
toes-in-the-dirt, hippie-dippy folk songs by Joan Baez.
![]() |
| Teenager Cheryl Sparks, one of four bilateral amputees recruited to manipulate the utility droids in "Silent Running" |
What
ultimately redeems the film, at its heart, is the impassioned performance by
Dern as Lowell, and his tender relationship with three pint-sized service
drones (played by double amputees), whom Lowell affectionately names Huey,
Dewey, and Louie.
Critic Vincent Canby of The New York Times called them
“sweet-tempered machines, a sort of higher form of Waring Blenders.” Particularly
touching is a sequence in which Lowell – wearing a croupier’s visor - programs
the scene-stealing robots to play poker with him. Roger Ebert, who called
“Silent Running” “a movie out of the ordinary,” noted, “Dern is a very good,
subtle actor, who was about the best thing in Jack Nicholson’s directing debut,
‘Drive, He Said.’"
![]() |
| Bruce Dern, director Douglas Trumbull on the set of "Silent Running"; Dern complimented his director, "When he looks through the eyepiece, he sees something nobody else sees. He sees magic." |
One
hundred eighty degrees from the nuanced gentleness Dern brought to the role of
Freeman Lowell is the unbridled viciousness the actor vented that same year as
Asa Watts, the long-haired cattle rustler in “The Cowboys,” starring John Wayne as a Montana cattleman who,
abandoned by ranch hands lured by a recent gold rush, resorts to hiring local
schoolboys as drovers for the 400-mile cattle drive from Bozeman to Belle
Fourche, South Dakota.
The
1972 film was an anomaly for the Duke in the waning years of his career, and
life, produced amid one tired formulaic western after another – “The
Undefeated,” “Chisum,” “Rio Lobo,” “Big Jake,” “The Train Robbers,” “Cahill,
United States Marshal” – each indistinguishable from the other, directed by
flunkies who inarguably kowtowed to Wayne’s whim and costarring the Duke’s
circle of aging, beefy cronies. The director of “The Cowboys,” Mark Rydell, a
former actor who had recently directed Steve McQueen against type in the
picaresque slice of Americana, “The Reivers,” was no pushover. John Wayne literally begged Rydell for the starring role in “The
Cowboys.”
![]() |
| John Wayne poses for a publicity shot with his young costars in "The Cowboys"; Robert Carradine (just to the right of the Duke) made his debut in the 1972 film. |
Instead
of a Richard Boone, Forrest Tucker, George Kennedy or some other old, familiar
saddle pal as an interchangeable nemesis, Wayne is menaced by the singular evil
unloosed in Bruce Dern’s inspired characterization of the “vermin-ridden son of
a bitch” who terrorizes the boys and ultimately shoots the Duke in the back.
Dern was so engulfed in his role that the young actors were literally terrified
of him. In a 2006 featurette on the DVD, one of the “cowboys,” now an adult
stuntman, told Dern, “You were a scary dude.”
Perhaps
in anticipation of his onscreen demise, Wayne purposely laid into Dern in a
fight scene. Dern later recalled, “He walloped me bad.” When the time came to
film Wayne’s death, the screen legend (with Wild Turkey bourbon on his breath,
according to Bruce), whispered to Dern that he was about to become the most
hated man in the country. With a toothy grin, Dern replied, “Yeah, but they’ll
love me in Berkeley!” Shortly after the movie’s release, Dern received death
threats.
Wayne
would regard “The Cowboys” as “the greatest experience of my life,” and the
role of “Ol’ Iron Pants” remained his favorite. Dern himself would state, “I
feel that I was a part of the last great western. That’s what the thrill was to
me.”
The
last time Bruce Dern spoke to his mother before her death in 1972, she was
still trying to convince him to move back to Chicago. “I think I was being
groomed to take over the store,” he recalled, meaning Carson Pirie Scott, the
department store chain of which Dern’s family owned 51%. “So my mother, she
said, ‘Look, give up this foolishness. I’ll put you through law school, you’ll
go to Carson’s, maybe do little plays at the Goodman, get this acting thing out
of your system.’ I said I was doing movies. She said she couldn’t bring anyone
to see anything I had made.”
Not long ago, Chicago Tribune
writer Christopher Borrelli commented on Dern’s career: “He lost his head in a
movie. Ate a baby. Tried bombing the Super Bowl…He had a knack for playing
unhinged.” (Editor’s note: Dern lost his head - and hand - in “Hush…Hush, Sweet
Charlotte” and tried to bomb the Super Bowl in “Black Sunday,” but none of his
screen characters devoured an infant – that was a joke about his role in “The
Incredible Two-Headed Transplanted” in a sketch on “Saturday Night Live.”)
Dern’s
mother asked hadn’t he shot John Wayne in the back and killed him. “I said,
‘But it’s a movie, mother.’ And she said, ‘Oh, Bruce, your grandfather will
never understand.’”
In
Interview magazine, Tere Tereba asked Dern, “What kind of roles do you want to
play?” He responded, “Multi-dimensional human beings. That’s what I’m
interested in.”
In
1973, Bruce Dern costarred with Walter Matthau as homicide inspectors in “The Laughing Policeman,” an
Americanization of a novel in the popular series of Martin Beck detective mysteries by Swedish authors Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo, with the filmmakers
moving the action from Stockholm to San Francisco. The movie was an attempt by
Matthau in the mid-1970s to break free from Neil Simon comedies and, in the
words of Roger Ebert, “other vehicles requiring him to shuffle around like an
appealing shaggy dog,” a period that also included atypical roles in the crime
thrillers “Charley Varrick,” directed by Don Siegel (“Dirty Harry”), and the
original “The Taking of Pelham One Two Three.”
Directed
by Stuart Rosenberg (“Cool Hand Luke”), the complex but savvy screenplay by
Thomas Rickman (whose script for 1981’s “Coal Miner’s Daughter” was nominated
for an Oscar) cleverly contrasts Matthau’s sullen, poker-faced restraint with
Dern’s bullheaded frustration as reluctant partners. Roger Ebert, who deemed
“The Laughing Policeman” “an awfully good police movie: taut, off-key, filled
with laconic performances,” praised Dern for being “at his best…a little mean,
a little lazy, sadistic on occasion, tough and the perfect counterfoil for
Matthau.” A.H. Weiler, in The New York Times, noted, “Mr. Dern’s delineation as
(Matthau’s) cynical sidekick, who occasionally messes up procedures with
hard-nosed tactics, is…strong and natural.” Ebert summed it up: “Police movies so
often depend on sheer escapist action that it’s fun to find a good one.”
Bruce
Dern subsequently landed a choice role in “The
Great Gatsby,” the 1974 screen version of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s magnum
opus, a cautionary tale of the American Dream and an ill-fated love affair
among the idle (and cruel) rich in the Jazz Age of the 1920s. Dern was cast as
Tom Buchanan, the philandering, fiercely jealous millionaire whose wife, Daisy
(Mia Farrow), happens to be the lost love of the titular Gatsby (Robert
Redford), a reclusive, enigmatic bootlegger-turned-nouveau riche.
![]() |
| Karen Black as Myrtle Wilson, the mistress of Bruce Dern's Tom Buchanan, in "The Great Gatsby" (1974) |
Scripted
by Francis Ford Coppola and directed by Jack Clayton, a British filmmaker whose
sporadic career centered on literary adaptations, including “The Innocents,” an
absolutely chilling version of Henry James’ classic ghost story, The Turn of the Screw, and the nostalgically
evocative “Something Wicked This Way Comes,” based on the novel by Ray
Bradbury, this opulent, glossy take on Fitzgerald’s classic (it was filmed
twice earlier, including a 1926 silent movie and a 1949 production starring
Alan Ladd as Gatsby, and was revamped in 3D by filmmaker Baz Luhrmann in 2013
with Leonardo DiCaprio) proved lifeless and overlong for audiences.
For Roger Ebert, Robert Redford as Jay Gatsby “was too substantial, too assured,
even too handsome. I saw him as Tom Buchanan, and somebody else as Gatsby (Jack
Nicholson, maybe, or Bruce Dern – who plays Tom).”
Before
Alexander Payne directed him in “Nebraska,” Bruce Dern would describe two
filmmakers with whom he had worked as “geniuses.” One was Douglas Trumbull, the
director of the aforementioned “Silent Running,” the other was Alfred
Hitchcock. Dern had appeared on a couple episodes of the TV series “The Alfred
Hitchcock Hour” in 1964, the same year he had a small role as an ill-fated
sailor in Hitchcock’s feature film “Marnie,” starring Tippi Hedren and Sean
Connery.
![]() |
| Bruce Dern comes to a bad end in Hitchcock's "Marnie" (1964). |
A
dozen years later, Bruce Dern landed a starring role in Hitchcock’s final
motion picture, “Family Plot,” after
Jack Nicholson turned it down because of scheduling conflicts with “One Flew
Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.” The lighthearted dark comedy concerns two couples –
one, a pair of small-time con artists: a phony psychic (Barbara Harris) and her
cab driver boyfriend (Dern); the other, sophisticated, professional kidnappers
(William Devane and Karen Black) – whose shady exploits come together in a
complex game involving a missing heir, past murders, a faked death, and a
hidden diamond.
“Family
Plot” was a box-office disappointment but remains a delightful lark for fans of
Hitchcock, who, in the last half-hour of the film, in the words of Roger Ebert,
“springs one concealed trap after another, allowing his story to fold in upon
itself, to twist and turn, and scare and amuse us with its clockwork irony.”
In
the late 1970s, Bruce Dern provided two divergent takes on Vietnam War
veterans. In “Black Sunday” (1977), directed
by John Frankenheimer, a past master of the paranoid political thriller (“The
Manchurian Candidate,” “Seven Days in May”), Dern portrays an unhinged vet who
was welcomed back to the U.S. after six years as a POW with a court martial and
a divorce. As a pilot of blimps for football games, he is easily recruited by a
beautiful agent of the Palestinian Black September organization (played by
Marthe Keller, Dustin Hoffman’s costar in “Marathon Man”) for a terrorist
attack on the Super Bowl game to be attended by the President of the United
States. The screenplay was based on the first novel by Thomas Harris, the
author who created the notorious character Hannibal Lecter in Red Dragon.
Robert
Shaw stars in “Black Sunday” as a world-weary agent of the Mossad, Israel’s
intelligence agency, a self-described “old war dog” whose ruthlessness earned
him the nickname “The Final Solution.” In the wake of Shaw’s scene-stealing
performance as Quint the shark hunter in 1975’s “Jaws,” moviemakers tried to
transform the middle-aged, British-born thespian into a Hollywood action hero,
with roles in, besides “Black Sunday,” “Swashbuckler,” and “The Deep.” After appearing
in 1978’s “Force 10 from Navarone” (Harrison Ford’s first starring role after
“Star Wars IV: A New Hope”), Shaw said, “I have it in mind to stop making these
big-budget extravaganzas, to change my pattern of life. I wanted to prove, I
think, that I could be an international movie star. Now that I’ve done it, I
see the valuelessness of it.” Shaw made one more “big-budget extravaganza,”
“Avalanche Express,” costarring Lee Marvin, before dying from a massive heart
attack in 1978.
![]() |
| Fritz Weaver, as an FBI agent, and a bored Robert Shaw, in a bad '70s leisure suit, save the world in "Black Sunday." |
Reviewing
“Black Sunday” for the The New York Times, critic Vincent Canby noted, “The
film’s best sequence has nothing to do with the action. It’s the quiet
recollection by Mr. Dern of his feelings when, as a prisoner of war, he
received a snapshot of his wife and children and immediately realized that his
wife had taken a lover.” Canby remarked, “Mr. Dern, slimmed down to skeletal
proportions, is so convincing as the former prisoner of war…that he effectively
reminds us of Mr. Frankenheimer’s best film, ‘The Manchurian Candidate.’”
In “Coming Home” (1978), Bruce Dern plays
a gung-ho Marine eager for heroics in Vietnam. While he is overseas, wife Jane
Fonda falls in love with paraplegic vet Jon Voight. The romance transforms
Fonda’s character from a dutiful, housebound officer’s wife into a
liberal-minded, independent woman. Dern’s Marine captain returns from Vietnam,
disillusioned by the brutal realities he witnessed there and disheartened by
what he finds when he comes home. “I just want to be a hero, that’s all” he
laments. “I just want to be a f***ing hero. One day in my life, one moment, I
want to go out a hero. That way, I would’ve done something that was mine.”
![]() |
| Far more than a polemic against the war, "Coming Home" succeeds as a tender love story, delicately limned in moments such as this, with Penelope Milford, Jon Voight, and Jane Fonda. |
“Coming
Home” was the first feature film for Jane Fonda’s production company, IPC Films
(Indochina Peace Campaign). Only six years earlier, Fonda angered American
veterans irrevocably by being photographed smiling and sitting on a North Vietnamese
Army anti-aircraft gun when she visited Hanoi (below), earning her the derisive
nickname “Hanoi Jane.” Not surprisingly, “Coming Home” pretty much wears its
anti-war politics on its sleeve. The project was conceived by Fonda, who long
had in mind to make a movie about the Vietnam War, inspired by her friendship
with Ron Kovic, a paraplegic Vietnam veteran she met at an anti-war rally.
Kovic had recently published his memoir, Born
on the Fourth of July, which was made into the award-winning film directed
by Oliver Stone and starring Tom Cruise.
The
lead role of the crippled, bitter vet was initially offered to Jack Nicholson,
but he was committed elsewhere. Jane Fonda then tried to interest Al Pacino and
Sylvester Stallone, both unsuccessfully. As for his role, Bruce Dern told
reporters, “I’ve been so many tortured vets, I would love to have played the
Jon Voight role, but no one asked me.” Ironically, Voight was originally cast
in the Dern role. Voight later commented that Dern “was absolutely brilliant…I
can’t think of anybody who could’ve done it better.”
Bruce
Dern would recall, “Jane and I were trained by (Lee) Strasberg…We achieved in
that movie chances to do things that he taught us at the highest level.” Jane
Fonda and Jon Voight won Oscars for their performances, while Dern was
nominated for the Best Supporting Actor Academy Award (the Oscar went to
Christopher Walken in “The Deer Hunter,” the other Vietnam movie which
also – much to Fonda’s consternation – garnered Academy Awards for Best Picture
and Best Director, Michael Cimino).
In
the early 1980s, Bruce Dern found himself an unlikely movie star in Canada.
First, he starred in the 1980 Canadian-produced romantic comedy “Middle Age Crazy” as a Texas building
contractor (specializing in taco stands) whose marriage to Ann-Margret is
jeopardized when he confronts a midlife crisis at age 40. (The film was shot
on-location in Dallas and Houston, as well as in Toronto.)
In
1982, Dern starred in “Harry Tracy,
Desperado,” a romanticized version of the exploits of the real-life outlaw
in the closing years of the Old West. The movie, filmed in British Columbia and
Alberta, features Canadian singer Gordon Lightfoot as a U.S. marshal in pursuit
of Tracy; he also conveniently sings the picture’s love theme. For both “Middle
Age Crazy” and “Harry Tracy, Desperado,” Bruce Dern was nominated for a Genie
Award (the Canadian equivalent of the Academy Award) for Best Performance by a
Foreign Actor. (Yes, in the Great White North, Bruce was considered a
foreigner.)
Stateside,
Dern’s career suffered a misstep when he starred in the ill-advised “Tattoo” (1981), playing a deranged
artist who abducts a model to use her body as his canvas. Maud Adams (twice a
Bond girl, in “The Man with the Golden Gun” and “Octopussy”) portrayed the
hapless victim. Allegedly, Dern claimed that the film’s sex scene was real, which
Adams quickly denied. The twisted screenplay was written by Joyce Bunuel, the
daughter-in-law of legendary Spanish surrealist filmmaker Luis Bunuel. This
time, Dern was nominated for a Razzie Award as Worst Actor.
![]() |
| Admittedly, "Tattoo" was not Bruce Dern's proudest moment... Nor was this decision, posing with "Tattooo" costar Maud Adams on the cover of Playgirl magazine and uncovering himself inside. |
Back
on track was “That Championship Season”
(1982), based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning Broadway play by Jason Miller (who
directed this film), a powerful ensemble drama, featuring Bruce Dern, Stacy
Keach, Martin Sheen, and Paul Sorvino as onetime high school basketball
champions whose reunion with their coach (Robert Mitchum) rings hollow when old
wounds are exposed and new contentions are sparked. Although the movie was not
a success at the box office, Dern won the Silver Bear for Best Actor at the
Berlin International Film Festival.
In
1991, David Letterman asked Bruce Dern, perhaps with a little too much
hyperbole, why he played some of the most “heinous” people who had ever lived.
Dern replied, “I can only tell you that I became an actor because I was
interested in what made people do what they do…Whatever character I play lived
just beyond where the buses run.” Dern later reflected, “(Letterman) didn’t get
it, but the point was that the people I liked to play lived just beyond where everyone
else lived. They don’t hear the music that everyone else does, and that makes
them interesting.”
By
the late 1980s into the 1990s, Bruce Dern’s screen performances had drifted
from starring roles to appearances in independent films, along with colorful
cameos and guest shots in major motion pictures, including “The ‘burbs,”
“Diggstown,” “Wild Bill,” “Mulholland Falls,” “Last Man Standing,” and “The
Haunting.” (If you blink, you'll miss Dern's fleeting appearance in director Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained.")
In “The Golden Boys” (2008), a wistfully
nostalgic romantic comedy set on Cape Cod in 1905, Bruce Dern was teamed with
screen veterans David Carradine and Rip Torn as elderly seafarers who compete
for the affection of attractive, middle-aged newcomer Mariel Hemingway. The
supporting cast of this “Grumpy Old Men” wannabe featured Charles Durning, John
Savage, and (in a silent role) Julie Harris.
Alexander
Payne, the director of “Election,” “About Schmidt,” “Sideways,” and “The
Descendants,” first met Bruce Dern when he was filming his first feature
“Citizen Ruth” (1996), a satirical take on debates over abortion starring Bruce’s
daughter, Laura Dern, with Swoosie Kurtz, Mary Kay Place, Kurtwood Smith, Kelly
Preston, Burt Reynolds, Tippi Hedren, and Diane Ladd (Laura’s mother). Payne
showed Dern Bob Nelson’s script for “Nebraska,” and the actor immediately
recognized the plum role for an older actor - Woody Grant, an alcoholic old man
determined to travel from Billings, Montana, to Lincoln, Nebraska, for a
millon-dollar sweepstakes prize he is convinced he has won - little realizing
it would take over 15 years to find backers for the project.
“The
first day of shooting,” Bruce Dern recalled in a recent interview, “(Alexander
Payne) told me, ‘I am your director and this is your cinematographer. Will you
do something for us? Let us do our jobs.’ Payne told me that he was sure they
could get a magical quality out of my performance as long as I wasn’t trying to
show them the emotions of the role but just acted naturally and let them find
the emotions.”
“Without
a doubt, I have been given good roles in my career,” Dern said. “The remarkable
thing about this script was that everything I needed to do the role was on the
page. The entire story was there. I didn’t need to add anything extra. No
Dern-isms. All I had to do was behave myself and not try to do too much.”
Dern
noted, “Alexander told me all I had to do was trust him. I put my arms around
him and said, ‘Let’s go and make magic.’ I haven’t felt this way with any other
director since maybe Elia Kazan.”
Bruce
Dern once said, “The one thing I’ve hoped for in my career is that people would
finally start to realize that I can play. Of course, if I get rewarded
for that along the way, well, that’s just more people saying ‘Let’s put the sumbitch
on the all-star team this year. He’s played for 55 seasons.’ ‘Nebraska’ might
make the playoffs. I’m very sports-oriented in the way I look at it.”
Among
the several awards Bruce Dern has already garnered for his performance in
“Nebraska” is the Best Actor Award at the Cannes Film Festival. “Cannes was the
biggest win of my career,” he said. “But even bigger was getting the role.” In
early January of 2014, Dern was acclaimed as Best Actor in AARP’s The
Magazine’s 13th annual Movies for Grownup Awards.
At
the Golden Globe Awards in January, Dern was nominated for Best Performance by
an Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy but lost to Leonardo DiCaprio,
for “The Wolf of Wall Street.” In his acceptance speech, DiCaprio graciously
acknowledged his fellow nominee: “And if any young actor wants to follow the
filmography of a great artist, take a look at Bruce Dern’s work.”
After
“Nebraska,” Bruce Dern stated, “I’m going to play roles people will never
forget.”






























1 comment:
I usually enjoy Bruce Dern's movie work. He's funny and scary at the same time. When he plays a regular guy -- as he does in "Smile" -- he still has a menacing edge. When he plays a bad guy, he always manages to bring some humanity.
Thanks for this two-part Dern tribute. Boy has he been in a lot of movies! Glad he didn't choose the department store route.
Post a Comment