Whenever a celebrity dies, pop culture fans anticipate the rule-of-three and speculate the identity of the next two shoes to drop. Recently, however, the names-of-the-game leveled out at two, twice. Less than a month after James Garner’s death in July 2014, Lauren Bacall passed away in August. Before a person could blink, the body of Robin Williams had been discovered – the victim of suicide. Just over three weeks later, on September 4, Joan Rivers succumbed to complications following what was supposed to be a routine throat procedure at an endoscopy clinic.
In
the art of show business, what united these four - at-first-glance vastly
diverse performers - was a shared passion for fearlessly maintaining a fierce independence
in an arena that avariciously emphasizes “business” over “art.”
When
Lauren Bacall fell in love with Humphrey Bogart, he gave her a choice. She
could be a movie star, and he would do all in his power to assist her, or she
could be his wife. The actor, 25 years her senior, had already been married
three times to aspiring starlets. Bacall chose to be his wife. She made the
same decision four years after Bogart’s death when she married actor Jason Roberts.
She later reflected, “I put my career in second place through both marriages.”
Not
once, but twice, James Garner went to court to be cut loose from his starring
roles in the highly popular TV series “Maverick” and “The Rockford Files.”
Unleashed
as a standup comic and as the star of the wildly successful sitcom “Mork &
Mindy,” Robin Williams was a rabid dog of inspired madness. And yet there was a
large part of him that ached to be taken seriously as a dramatic actor, which
he proved again and again, in poignant performances from “The World According
to Garp” to “Awakenings,” “One Hour Photo” and “Insomnia.” After
Oscar-nominated roles in “Good Morning, Vietnam,” “Dead Poets Society,” and
“The Fisher King,” he finally took home the Academy Award, as Best Supporting
Actor, for “Good Will Hunting.”
![]() |
| Joan Rivers: "Robin genuinely made me laugh and was one of the 'good guys.' I'll miss him and his wonderful spirit." |
And
then there’s Joan Rivers. Throughout her life, come hell or high water - an infamous
fallout with her fatherly mentor Johnny Carson, the humiliating demise of her
own talk show and the ensuing suicide of her husband – she persevered, with a
vengeance, swearing by the mantra, “I succeeded by saying what everyone else is
just thinking.”
From
childhood, Joan determined her unique destiny. She was born Joan Molinsky in
Brooklyn to Russian Jewish immigrants. Her father, a doctor, would do funny
impressions of his patients. Joan would call herself a pudgy child who felt inferior to her older, more attractive
sister, Barbara. In her 1986 memoir, Enter
Talking, the comedian asserted, “I could not endure the reality that I
might end up Joan Molinsky, an unattractive, nondescript little Jewish girl,
run-of-the-mill, who might just as well have stayed in Brooklyn and married a
druggist and had a normal life.”
She
appeared in school plays and at 16 was a self-described “chubby” extra cheering
on a wrestling match in 1951’s “Mister Universe.” She attended Connecticut
College for Women in New London, then New York City’s Barnard College. She took
acting classes and graduated with an English major in 1954. She worked in the
publicity department at the luxury department store Lord & Taylor, then as
a fashion coordinator (portending her gig as host of the “E!” channel series
“Fashion Police”) for the Fifth Avenue flagship of Bond Clothing Stores. She
married the son of a Bond executive in 1957 and was divorced six months later.
![]() |
| "New York was the magic city. New York was Oz. All I wanted to do was get out of Brooklyn and get into Oz." |
| Joan Rivers appeared in such Greenwich Village clubs as The Bitter End and The Gaslight Cafe, often as part of the comedic musical trio Jim, Jake & Joan. |
In the late 1950s, Rivers performed in a short-run play titled “Driftwood” as a
lesbian with a crush on a character played by a then equally unknown Barbra
Streisand. In a 2008 interview, Rivers reminisced, “Let me tell you, Barbra is a
great kisser, but no tongue…I don’t really see her anymore…When I do see her,
she always says, ‘So, are you still in the business?’ And she’s not making a
joke. She has no clue what anyone else is doing.”
When
her parents refused to foot the bills for her acting endeavors, she supported
herself with temporary office work. “I guess I became a comedienne,” she said,
“because I had no money. I always made the secretaries at the casting offices
laugh.” Rivers joined the landmark improvisational comedy troupe Second City in
Chicago in 1961. She struck up a friendship with iconoclastic comic Lenny
Bruce, who fortuitously encouraged her to base her humor on her personal life.
Her
off-color ethnic wisecracks offended both the audience and host Jack Paar alike
in an early appearance on “The Tonight Show,” and instead of the anticipated springboard
for success it proved to be an embarrassing career setback. A contemporary of
Woody Allen and Bill Cosby, Rivers worked on the original “Candid Camera” TV
series in 1965 as a writer and as an on-camera “bait,” luring unsuspecting
victims into ridiculous situations.
That
same year, she made a triumphant return to “The Tonight Show” for new host
Johnny Carson, who immediately took the young comedienne under wing. Rivers would
soon refer to herself as “Johnny Carson’s daughter.” She appeared regularly on
“The Ed Sullivan Show,” where, oddly enough, she also wrote material for the
annoyingly coy mouse puppet Topo Gigio (above). In 1983, Johnny Carson selected Rivers
as his permanent guest host.
In
1986, the new Fox Television Network wooed Rivers with the promise of her own
late night talk show in competition with “The Tonight Show.” An eleventh hour
phone conversation ended with Carson hanging up on Rivers, and the two never
spoke again. She was banned from “The Tonight Show” and only returned to the
program after nearly 30 years in February of 2014 during Jimmy Fallon’s first
night as the new host (below).
In
the Moviehouse, we’d like to take a look at a side of Joan Rivers that might be
unfamiliar to many, showcasing her efforts as an actress and as a filmmaker.
Seventeen years after her inauspicious film debut as a “chubby” bit player in
“Mister Universe,” Rivers returned to the screen in a small but memorable role
in the 1968 drama “The Swimmer,” based on a terse tale written by John Cheever,
a product of genteel Westchester County in New York whose mastery of the short
story earned him the nickname “the Chekhov of the suburbs.” The story depicts
the allegorical journey of a middle-aged ad-man, introduced in the
surroundings of a poolside summer party in an affluent suburb, who, clad solely
in his trunks, is suddenly inspired to return to his home by swimming across
all the pools in his county. As his odyssey progresses, he encounters neighbors
who subtly refer to his financial setbacks and family difficulties to which he
seems oblivious, while he grows physically weaker and the weather inexplicably
turns autumnal.
Frank
Perry, a filmmaker who could seesaw sublime, poignant dramas like “David and
Lisa” (1962) and “Diary of a Mad Housewife” (1970) on one end and an
over-the-top trash heap like “Mommie Dearest” (1981) on the other, with
escapist fluff like the “Rancho Deluxe” (1975) in between, directed “The
Swimmer” from a screenplay written by wife Eleanor Perry (whose script for
“David and Lisa” was nominated for an Academy Award), who masterfully fleshed
out John Cheever’s 10-page into a complex feature film.
![]() |
| In one of the more disturbing moments in "The Swimmer," creepy Burt Lancaster tries to seduce screen newcomer Janet Landgard as the onetime family babysitter. |
Not
unlike the story’s enigmatic protagonist, 54-year-old Burt Lancaster, past the
twilight years of his career as a leading man, wanted to prove his prowess and
charisma in a challenging role that had already been turned down by Paul
Newman, William Holden, and Glenn Ford. Lancaster worked out strenuously during
the production to keep physically fit and took swimming lessons from UCLA water
polo coach Bob Horn.
Roger
Ebert called the movie “a strange, stylized work, a brilliant and disturbing
one.” Vincent Canby wrote in The New York Times, “Although literal in style,
the film has the shape of an open-ended hallucination. It is a grim, disturbing
and sometimes funny view of a very small, very special segment of
upper-middle-class American life."
Among that “special segment” Lancaster intrudes upon in his trek is a cocktail party where the hostess coldly greets him as a “gatecrasher.” After an equally icy exchange with the party’s bartender, he approaches a tipsy socialite played by a then-33-year-old Joan Rivers (above). He introduces himself as “an explorer” and tells her, “I’m swimming home…Do you want to come with me?” The dumbstruck Rivers utters, “Where?” and with a twinkle in his eye, he responds, “Along a river of sapphire pools.” Visibly dazzled, she tells him, “I never heard anyone talk like you.” When he says, “Come with me, be my love,” a sad reality hits Joan as she replies, “You’re no different from any other guy.” “But I am,” he insists. “I’m a very special human being. Noble and splendid.” The look that comes across his face is both ennobling and unsettling.
Among that “special segment” Lancaster intrudes upon in his trek is a cocktail party where the hostess coldly greets him as a “gatecrasher.” After an equally icy exchange with the party’s bartender, he approaches a tipsy socialite played by a then-33-year-old Joan Rivers (above). He introduces himself as “an explorer” and tells her, “I’m swimming home…Do you want to come with me?” The dumbstruck Rivers utters, “Where?” and with a twinkle in his eye, he responds, “Along a river of sapphire pools.” Visibly dazzled, she tells him, “I never heard anyone talk like you.” When he says, “Come with me, be my love,” a sad reality hits Joan as she replies, “You’re no different from any other guy.” “But I am,” he insists. “I’m a very special human being. Noble and splendid.” The look that comes across his face is both ennobling and unsettling.
This
brief encounter took seven days to shoot. Joan Rivers later recalled that she,
director Frank Perry, and Lancaster would rehearse the scene together, but
behind Perry’s back, Lancaster decided to re-direct her character “so that
there would be no sympathy for me.” In her 1991 memoir, Still Talking, she maintained that the actor “redirected every
line…Frank wanted a happy girl who then got hurt. Lancaster was going to be Mr.
Wonderful who came up against a mean bitch…Trying to please both men, I was
going back and forth between line readings, and nothing made sense."
To
say the least, it was a troubled production overall. The film was shot in
Westport, Connecticut, during the summer of 1966 but not released until the
spring of 1968. Rivers recalled that Perry and Lancaster often had
confrontations on the set. (According to an assistant director, “There was
nothing wrong with the director, and there was nothing wrong with the actor,
but they were just wrong for each other.”) Ultimately, producer Sam Spiegel was
pressured by Lancaster to fire Perry, who was replaced by Sydney Pollack, a
friend of the star’s who directed him in “The Scalphunters” and “Castle Keep.”
Spiegel himself, who had won three Best Picture Academy Awards (for “On the
Waterfront,” “The Bridge on the River Kwai,” and “Lawrence of Arabia”),
eventually removed his name from the credits.
Variety
pointed out that “a lot of people are not going to understand this film; many
will loathe it; others will be deeply moved.” Burt Lancaster would insist that
“The Swimmer” was the best film of his career and his personal favorite.
![]() |
| Joan Rivers in her high school yearbook: "There is not one female comic who was beautiful as a little girl." |
![]() |
| The hectic shooting schedule of "The Girl Most Likely To..." required Stockard Channing to bounce back-and-forth out of the makeup chair. |
The
game comedic cast includes Ed Asner, Susanne Zenor (the original dim-bulb
blonde in the pilot for “Three’s Company”), Larry Wilcox (the blonde motorcycle
cop in “CHiPs”), Warren Berlinger (a longtime comic character actor from stage,
screen, and television – anyone remember “Kilroy” on “Walt Disney’s Wonderful
World of Color”?), and Fred Grandy (best known for his role as yeoman purser
“Gopher” on “The Love Boat” before entering politics as a U.S. senator for
Iowa), along with cameos by comedy pros Jim Backus, Joe Flynn, Chuck McCann and
Carl Ballantine.
![]() |
| Ed Asner steals the show in "The Girl Most Likely To..." as a deadpan, dedicated but dimwitted detective hopelessly in love with his adversary: "I never figured on the old exploding 8-ball trick!" |
![]() |
| Alex Rocco: "Of course I know what a uterus is - he's the guy who killed Caesar!" Joan Prather, Billy Crystal, Alex Rocco in "Rabbit Test" |
![]() |
| "Why me?...Why couldn't it be someone else?...Wilt Chamberlain, I mean he's tall, he could carry better." Billy Crystal and Doris Roberts in "Rabbit Test" |
![]() |
| Joan Rivers directs Doris Roberts in "Rabbit Test" |
The
movie, produced by Joan Rivers’ husband, Edgar Rosenberg, was shot on a budget
of just under a million dollars. The couple hocked their Bel-Air house and
Joan’s jewels, while her father and sister mortgaged their homes to contribute
to the film’s budget. Daughter
Melissa Rivers, all of ten years of age, was credited as associate producer.
(Old-time radio comedian Fred Allen once defined “associate producer “ as “the
only person in Hollywood who will associate with the producer.”) The cast, numbering
over 130, all worked for Screen Actors Guild scale pay. Rivers recalled, “I
came out of the improvisational school of Second City. The actors contributed
50 percent of what appeared on the screen.”
During
the three-week shoot, a number of veteran crew members showed little sympathy
for the one-liner comedienne-turned-fledgling director. “Sometimes I just put
my head against the camera and cried,” Rivers related. ”My assistant director
didn’t tell me that he was the one who was supposed to yell, ‘Quiet on the
set!’ So I ended up shouting my head off.”
The
New York Times critic Janet Maslin, who noted the movie was constructed from
“less-than-sparkling one-liners, wrote, “As a director, Miss Rivers is forever
sandbagging her own scenes, throwing away a good chuckle in a sequence that
desperately needs a punch line.” Maslin pointed out, “Mr. Crystal manages to
convey neither astonishment nor acceptance of the impossible.” According to the
reviewer, “When it winds up on television, which is where a movie this visually
crude belonged in the first place, ‘Rabbit Test’ may improve slightly: Constant
commercial interruptions may help distract attention from the movie’s
continuity problems, which are severe.”
![]() |
| Famed female impersonator Charles Pierce as the Queen of England with Joan Rivers in "Rabbit Test." |
Ebert
admitted, “But it tries. Not a moment goes by without something on the screen
that’s supposed to be funny. That’s what makes the movie quietly amazing: That
so many different gags could not be funny…’Rabbit Test’ is flat and mechanical,
filled with funny ideas for a movie, but not with funny things in a movie.”
Despite the onslaught of negative reviews, the picture ended up making $15 million in theater rentals. Almost immediately, Joan Rivers had two more film projects in the works. Late in 1978 she signed a contract with Columbia Pictures to direct and star in “A Girl Named Banana,” a caper comedy set in the Catskills written by Rivers and the master of caper fiction, Donald E. Westlake, author of The Hunter (filmed as “Point Blank” and as “Payback”) and, among several others, The Hot Rock. “On ‘Rabbit Test,’ I could get a decision in 20 minutes,” Rivers said at the time. “We spent four months on the Columbia deal. The contract is longer than the script.” Unfortunately, the script was never filmed, and “The Rabbit Test” remained the only project Rivers ever directed.
![]() |
| On the Fox network's "The Late Show Starring Joan Rivers," Mel Brooks guest-hosted in drag as Joan. |
Specifically,
Brooks targets the first “Star Wars” (“Episode IV: A New Hope”), featuring Bill
Pullman (best known as the alien-battling President in “Independence Day”) as
space cowboy Lone Starr, John Candy as his sidekick, Barf the Mog (“half man,
half dog, I’m my own best friend”), and Daphne Zuniga (familiar to TV viewers
for her roles in “Melrose Place” in the 1990s and “One Tree Hill” in the 2000s)
as Princess Vespa of the planet Druidia (“That’s all we need, a Druish
princess!”…”Funny, she doesn’t look Druish!”).
![]() |
| "Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb." |
At
the time, “Spaceballs” was Mel Brooks’ most expensive production, with a budget
of $25 million. (Brooks’ first film, “The Producers,” was budgeted at
$947,000.) As he had sought Alfred Hitchcock’s approval for “High Anxiety,”
Brooks wanted (and needed) George Lucas’ blessing to make the movie. Lucas gave
Brooks the nod but with the stipulation that the latter wouldn’t merchandise
his own action figures. Ironically, the film itself repeatedly parodies shameless merchandising. In a 2012 interview, Brooks said Lucas wrote him a
“lovely note saying how much he loved the picture…He said, ‘I was afraid I
would bust something from laughing.’”
As mentioned, Joan Rivers was the voice of Princess Vespa’s faithful droid, Dot Matrix. The talented performer in the elaborate costume – complete with “Virgin Alarm” (“It’s programmed to go off before you do!”) – is Lorene Yarnell, half of the popular 1970s mime team Shields and Yarnell. Not at all coincidentally, one of Dot Matrix’ first lines is Rivers’ catchphrase “Can we talk?” In the DVD commentary for “Spaceballs,” Mel Brooks recalled Rivers as “wonderful” and “a pleasure to work with.”
![]() |
| "Spaceballs: The Animated Series" |
In
“Spaceballs,” Yogurt says, “God willing, we’ll all meet again in ‘Spaceballs
II: The Search for More Money.’” In a recent interview, Rick Moranis related,
“Mel wanted to do a sequel after (‘Spaceballs’) became a cult video hit…MGM
wanted to do a sequel. And my idea for it was ‘Spaceballs III: The Search for
Spaceballs II.’ And I was unable to make a deal with Mel.” Brooks’ long-held
desire to make a sequel was finally realized, sort of, in 2008’s “Spaceballs:
The Animated Series” on G4 TV. The single-season program featured the voices of
Brooks as President Skroob and Yogurt, Daphne Zuniga as Princess Vespa, and
Joan Rivers (as Dot Matrix). Absent were Bill Pullman, Rick Moranis, and,
obviously, John Candy, who died in 1994.
![]() |
| Joan Rivers and Janeane Garofalo as they appeared on "The Simpsons" |
![]() |
| Joan Rivers is reunited with "Rabbit Test" costar Alex Rocco in "How to Murder a Millionaire." |
![]() |
| Brooke Shields, Joan Rivers, Kathy Griffin, Judd Nelson in "Suddenly Susan" |
![]() |
| Our editors were unable to find a picture of Joan Rivers and Robert Klein from "Goosed," but we figured this would do... |
![]() |
| Ryan Ochoa and Joan Rivers mug for "Mostly Ghostly: Have You Met My Ghoulfriend" |
Postscript:
“I’m in nobody’s circle, I’ve always been an outsider. I don’t have those wonderful dinners with Woody, I’ve never been asked by Jay. And it makes you sad, because I think it would be wonderful to sit and talk about things that very few people understand. But I’m very competitive, and I’m sure they feel that…And I think that’s what has kept me going. I’m not gracious.”
“I’m in nobody’s circle, I’ve always been an outsider. I don’t have those wonderful dinners with Woody, I’ve never been asked by Jay. And it makes you sad, because I think it would be wonderful to sit and talk about things that very few people understand. But I’m very competitive, and I’m sure they feel that…And I think that’s what has kept me going. I’m not gracious.”


































1 comment:
Another nice blog post filled with tasty tidbits.
I don't get the Joan Rivers plastic surgery stuff. But I don't get anyone's plastic surgery.
And, I always thought Joan was plenty attractive, so her "I'm ugly" jokes rang a little hollow with me.
I wonder if self-loathing (which I can relate to) was the engine that propelled her? Probably not. A lot of people don't like themselves and a lot of people do not have the success she had. Much more than just hating herself, she had ambition and smarts and she really was very funny.
Wonder if "Rabbit Test" is funnier now than when it was released? I should probably watch it, huh?
Rest In Peace, Joan.
Post a Comment